Article by: Aaron Brooks, Purlife Delray – Personal Trainer
Move of the Week – Barbell Deadlift
- Begin standing with your feet hip-width apart and under the bar. which should be close to your shins.
- Bend and grab the bar using an overhead grip, your arms just outside of your legs, bending your knees slightly until your shins are lightly brushing the bar.
- Keeping your chest lifted and spine straight, engage your glutes and lift the bar, keeping it close to your legs.
(Avoid leaning back once you’re upright).
- Return the weight to the floor by engaging your glutes once more, pushing your hips back.
Begin standing with your feet hip-width apart
Bend and grab the bar using an overhead grip
Lift the bar
Return the weight to the floor
The barbell deadlift activates over 30 individual muscles. Listed below are a few of the major muscle groups involved:
- Rectus abdominis
- Internal / external oblique muscle
- Latissimus dorsi
- Levator scapulae
- Quadratus lumborum
- Rhomboideus major
- Gluteal muscles
Personal Trainer – Delray Beach Gym