What is Functional Fitness Training, and Why is it Important ?
Functional fitness training is not something that’s often discussed, especially in a fitness world over-run by Pilates and spin classes. But, at Purlife Fitness Center, we believe that not only is functional fitness training important to your workout routine, but it’s also essential to keep your body in optimal shape.
Functional Fitness Training at Purlife Fitness
The Mayo Clinic was one of the first to discuss the benefits of creating exercise routines that were more than simply working on “glamour muscles” . Described as exercises that simulate your everyday activities – such as a squat, which affects the movement you make when you sit in a chair – functional fitness training emphasizes the importance of using all the muscles together at the same time, while also developing strength in the body’s core.
There are many different benefits to functional fitness training, and they include but are certainly not limited to, the following:
- Functional fitness training can help older adults re-develop agility, muscle strength, and balance. Functional fitness training can also help older adults reduce the risk of falls.
- Functional fitness training can help improve your ability to perform every day activities, while also improving your entire body strength.
- Because functional fitness training involves the use of your entire body in the exercise, it can help improve the quality of your life. When everyday activities become easier to perform and are performed quicker, time can be made for other, more enjoyable things.
What are some things to keep in mind before performing functional fitness training?
Of course, functional fitness training shouldn’t just be started by anyone. Before starting any fitness regimen, you should consult with your doctor. Also, before starting any functional fitness training, you should:
- Get a complete physical to ensure that you’re capable of performing the exercises.
- Consult with your trainer to ensure you’re engaging in a program that’s right for you.
- Assess how you, individually, feel about the exercises you’re performing – if it doesn’t feel good, don’t do it!
Contact Purlife Fitness for Your Own Personal Training Regimen!
For more information on how Purlife Fitness can provide you with your own fitness training program, as well as custom training built just for you. contact us today.